Belarusian Memorial Chapel
London, United Kingdom
The Belarusian Memorial Chapel is the first permanent wooden church built in London since the Great Fire of 1666. Commissioned by the Holy See for UK’s Belarusian diaspora community established in 1947 by families of demobilised soldiers after WWII. Shielded by 17 protected trees, it is a lasting memorial to the victims of the WWII and the 1986 Chernobyl nuclear disaster. At night the chapel shines from within like a beacon, a reminder of the wooden churches torched by the Nazis in the atrocities of WWII when Belarus lost a quarter of its population - the largest percentage loss in any country.